Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Picky Eater

Yes, it's true...I have a picky eater on my hands and his name is Asher. I have done research on toddlers and meal times and I guess it is completely normal for kids at this age to be "picky" when it comes to eating. They like one thing one day, and the next they will have nothing to do with it. But I don't know if meal times are more of a struggle for him or me! I admit that I sometimes just go the easy route and give him Easy Mac for lunch. And I tend to give him things that he likes, so I feel like it is always the same things. I have been making him separate meals for dinner, again, things that I know he likes and will eat. But I am so sick of doing that so I started just giving him what we eat. BUT, this has not been going well and this is where I struggle. Lately, when we sit down for dinner, I will give him the main course of our meal, and something I know he likes, like bread or cheese. But he never eats the main course. I've made chicken nuggets, chicken pot pie, spaghetti, vegetables sprinkled with cheese, and NOTHING...he won't touch anything! I don't know what to do. I don't want to force it down his throat. But I want him to eat healthy foods and enjoy them! I know that is probably completely unrealistic to say, but I only want what is best for him. And I appreciate any advice I can get from you other mommies!

2 comments:

  1. I remember well those days with my own toddlers! I had to be sneaky (shredded veggies in the spaghetti sauce for example) and then someone older and wiser told me that every kid goes thru this phase. She told me that when they get hungry enough they will eat. So I could choose to feed them whatever I was cooking and leave it to them to eat or not eat, or I could cater to their picky little taste buds. I admit I wavered in both directions... and eventually, the phase dwindled. No one starved, no one suffered (ok maybe me as I worried). I remember my son being on a PBJ diet for months!!! But at least PB was good protein, the jelly was home made and the bread was a healthy whole grain.
    A few years ago I visited my son (now grown and with kids of his own) and he ate a huge dinner including several helpings of veggies. We both laughed as I pointed out with a sigh, ' my son is eating his vegetables!' it was a proud moment. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The comment above says it ALL! He will eat when he is hungry. I too stopped catering to what Ryker wanted and said that he can eat what I make or not eat at all (sometimes I still cater to him but that is not very often anymore). I don't want to have a kid who can pick what he wants for dinner and not eat what I take the time to make...so if he doesn't like it, he doesn't eat nor does he get a bedtime snack. Asher will be fine...he will eat when he is hungry. You have to remember their stomaches are only the size of their fist so not really that big to fill them up. ;) Love you! Your a wonderful mommy!

    ReplyDelete