Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas Is All About Presence

No, you did not misread the title to this blog. Christmas really IS all about presence. BUT did you notice how the word presence is spelled? P-R-E-S-E-N-C-E...meaning the presence of Jesus Christ.
I have heard myself saying a few times that it "just doesn't feel like Christmas." I grew up in a place where it was always cold during Christmas; and we always had our house decorated with a tree and other Christmas decor.  I always spent time shopping for the perfect gifts for others. And there was always a huge family gathering. Since moving to Honduras, things have changed a bit, including my perspective on Jesus' birthday.
Christmas is NOT a feeling. It is also not about trees and decorations, gifts and candy canes, eggnog and peppermint mochas. Those things are all great and I miss them. But that's all they are are things. Take all that stuff away and you still have Christmas. You still have the greatest gift in the whole world, and that is the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His presence is what Christmas is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment